September 15, 2008

DIY Inspiration

I'm sure you all wonder how an interior decorator comes up with a design concept for their client's. It's a process that takes some time, mainly by getting to know the client, and really trying to tap into their personality in order to create a space that is an extension of themselves, that they will also be comfortable in, and the result of what they've asked for.

Once of the step's that I take as a decorator to help the client envision what they are looking for, is to advise them to collect photo's of room's they enjoy, from magazine's, online, or a space that they have experienced and enjoyed. Even if there is only 1 small item in a room that they admire, such as a picture frame or an ornament of some sort, to a larger item such as a sofa, or a dining set. These rooms and or specific items that are admired can help a decorator pin down your style.

Even if you decide not to work with a decorator, and spruce up your home yourself, collecting photo's can help you narrow down and collect what you are looking for. The trick, is finding a common element. That common element could be a color, a texture, or an overall theme or style of a room, such as French Country, or Urban Chic. It will become easier to pinpoint, the more photo's you collect.
There are a gazillion decorating sites out there, from interior design/decor glossies, to their websites, to interior design blogs (like this one) to coffee table books. These images are everywhere.

My favorite spots to go to online for inspiration are Domino magazine, they have a cool new feature called My Deco File, which allows you to save all your decorating idea's in an online file. Another site from the UK, MyDeco has an online test that helps you find your own decorating style. This is a really fun thing to do, and even has yourself guessing to see what the final results will be.

image above from Domino

My favorite design blogs are decor8, Apartment Therapy, Design Milk, design*sponge, and PoppyTalk. There are all unique in their own way. My 2 main addictions are decor8 and Apartment Therapy.

Decor8 showcases new products for the home from all over the world from a unique perspective, Holly Becker, it’s author and interior design consultant split’s her life in Boston, and Germany. My favorite house tour site, Apartment Therapy showcases everyday, normal homes, condos and apartments, not just the rich and famous.

Don't feel like to must limit yourself to Canadian, or North American decorating sites and magazines, there are hundred's of international spot's you can hit as well. UK Magazine's offer more great stops for inspiration, House to Home, the parent site of UK magazines Ideal Home, and Living etc. also offer fantastic photo gallery's that do nothing but inspire you!

I thought I'd share with you all some of my own personal collection of photos that I've collected recently. Maybe something from one of these photos will end up in my own home. A table lamp, a rug, a mirror. You just never know where your inspiration will take you.


images below from Domino Magazine
This room makes be want to cuddle on the couch with
a good book, a cup of tea, and a blanket


I love the contrast between the modernized traditional chandelier, and the bar stool's.


The color of the walls in this room makes me crave the Caribbean,
where my husband and I got married earlier this year



The extra storage space above the door frame is a smart idea,
and increases the illusion of more height in the room


Traditional colours, mid-century modern furniture.
A huge trend right now that I'm growing to love every day


Love the idea of painting the back of the bookshelf,
adds color that wold normally be just 'blah'



This dining nook feels very Parisian, don't you think?
French bistro decor has always been one of my favorites


I'm not sure why but I'm really liking the antler's in this room, and I've seen them popping up all over the place recently. Even a paper mache one at Flik & Company



images below from House to Home
White on white on white. One of my favorite colour scheme's, even though white isn't technically a colour. Modern chair and lamp, romantic billowy curtain's blowing in the wind.


The furnishing's in the this room are very traditional, but the fabric's
and colour's used are not. Hence, modern design with a twist


One day this will be my eat-in kitchen. Love the table, but I think I'd do contrasting chair's in a different style. Not sure what yet exactly, but I'll keep you all informed !

No comments: