October 2, 2008

Weekend Happenings



There is so much going on this weekend here in Toronto, my head is going to explode! I'm not sure my brain can take in all the beauty and amazement of Scotiabank's Nuit Blanche, the Toronto International Art Fair, and the Toronto Condo Show.

Nuit Blanche is a one-night only event, this Saturday, from 6:52 pm (sunset) to sunrise. I've never had the chance to experience this "free, all-night, contemporary art thing" first hand, but in previous years I've poured over Flickr photo's, and reviews in the local paper's describing the event, and I've kicked myself for not going. This year however, I'm going, with bell's on. I will be prepared to stay out as late as I possibly can, by having a LONG nap Saturday afternoon, and the stocking up on Power bars, and Starbucks. With a fully loaded camera in hand my husband and I plan or roaming the city with about 200,000 other's (at least).



In the Toronto Star today (Thursday, Oct 2nd), I read about the "12 Exhibitions Not To Miss During Nuit Blanche", some are spooky/scary, some are tranquil & serene, some are just downright strange and weird, but the one that I cannot wait to see and experience is Sound Forest 2008, described ... "this leafy sound installation organized by Tova Kardonne and Christine Duncan, 10 choirs make their way through the trees, each following their own mysterious route". Cool!



Another mention would have to be Wish Tree, by Yoko Ono. This installation "allows visitors to fix personal uplifting messages to a tree, with the NY artist's Imagine Peace billboard (2001) looking down on the corner of Liberty St. and Jefferson Avenue".

I'm not yet sure if I'll make it to the Toronto International Art Fair, or to the Condo Show, we'll have to see how Nuit Blanche goes first. I will of course provide everyone with a full report of the nights events, and I hope to have tons of photos for you as well.

No comments: