September 4, 2008

meet ... Rochelle

I'm happy to introduce you to local Toronto artist Rochelle. She has her own Etsy shop here.



I was drawn to Rochelle's work immediately, as it possesses a certain confidence that I seem to be attracted to lately. I was able to interview Rochelle a little while ago via email, and I thought I'd share it with you all. Enjoy !




Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
My name is Rochelle, and I am an artist living and working in Toronto, Canada. I also operate a used art bookstore that was established by my father in the late 50’s.

How did you discover your talent as an artist?
I have never been quite sure I had any talent as an artist, it’s just something I have always done.

Where do you get your inspiration/influence for your art?
Spending time in the bookstore when I was young, looking through all those dusty old volumes of Beardsley and Dulac and many of the great illustrators from the 20’s and 30’s. My favorite period was art nouveau.


What keeps you motivated?
Constantly looking at art.

What’s the most important thing you’d like people to know/understand about you and/or your creation’s?
In my images I try to capture a sense of beauty and sadness, the transient quality of life.

Describe your perfect day?
Drawing, reading, drinking coffee in dark cafes. And looking through bookstores.


Rochelle's art card's are also available locally in Toronto at Wonderworks, Alchemy, Book City (Bloor St. location), and Acadia Art and Rare Books.



No comments: