November 3, 2008

MOMA Favorites

The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in Manhattan is a place I unfortunately have never yet had the chance to visit in person. Luckily, I have the pleasure of visiting the museum online whenever I choose, and I'm never disappointed.

Museum's, and art exhibits, both online and in person can greatly inspire a person, which is probably why I love them so much. When I attended Nuit Blanche last month here in Toronto, an all-night modern art installation event, it was unlike anything I expected, both good and bad. Most of the exhibits here much smaller and/or larger than I expected, and others I found I connected with emotionally. The same can be said with visual arts for me.

The best part about MOMA for me, is the MOMA online shop. If you are looking for a gift for a person that has everything, this shop is the best place to find something that they definitely don't have. It's also a fantastic shop for home accessories, and even furniture! Anything and everything in their shop is a work of art, and a conversation piece.

I thought I'd share a few of my favorite pieces with everyone, and if you see something you like, don't worry, they do accept international orders!!!

Clockwise from top left,
Distinct Patterned Glasses, Emmanuel Babled, 2004
NelsonTM Swag Leg Desk, George Nelson, 1958
Colorful Wobble Glasses, Monica Lubkowska Jonas, 2007
Eva Teakettle, Eva Zeisel, 2005
Wiggle Stool, Frank Gehry, 1972



clockwise from top left,
Midsummer Light, Tord Boontje, 2004
Garland Shade Light, Tord Boontje, 2003
Candela Rechargeable Lamps, Duane Smith, Stefane Barbeau, 2003
Joy Candle Lamp, Josefin Hagberg, 2007



Of course visiting the MOMA would be better visited in person, however, i'm thanking my lucky stars for any online version of MOMA. I will get there one day. I promise.



(all images from MOMA)

No comments: